Friday, August 12, 2011

MAC - Blogger's Obsessions Eye Shadows

L-R: Parisian Skies; Hocus Pocus; Sparkle Neely, Sparkle!, Jealousy Wakes

If you're not a die-hard MAC fan who subscribes to their emails, reads popular beauty bloggers and pops by the store frequently (i.e. enough that they know your name), you might have missed this collection entirely. There's a reason for that. It was only released online - appropriate, really, when you know the background of this particular collection.

MAC selected a handful of well-known (and well-loved) beauty bloggers and let them do what we all really, really wish we could - create their own MAC product. Not only did they get to come up with a shade and name for their creation, they actually got to go to the MAC factory to participate hands-on in the process of bringing their product to life. 

This collection is the result of that hard work and vision. 

In the end, though I was tempted by everything, I decided just to get the eyeshadows. There were some lovely shades of Lipglass, but as I've mentioned in the past, I have a lot of Lipglasses and almost never wear any of them because they're just too darn sticky! 

The eyeshadows, on the other hand, are all absolutely gorgeous (I have to admit - I got backups of Hocus Pocus and Sparkle Neely, Sparkle!). Here are the shade descriptions:

  • Parisian Skies (S) - This is an amazing shade. It really is like a blue sky that is just slightly overcast - muted blue with grey undertones. This one was created by Lesley Ellen Mirza, resident blogger at Lipstick Powder N Paint.
  • Hocus Pocus (VP) - If I had to pick a favourite from this collection, Hocus Pocus would be it. I have a hard time describing this colour. the MAC description calls it "dark sooty grey with silver pearl," but I feel like I see hints of really dark green in there as well. It's a great colour for the crease of lashline, and is absolutely gorgeous to create a smoky eye. The creative genius behind this particular product is Lianne Farbes, who blogs at The Makeup Girl.
  • Sparkle Neely, Sparkle! (VP) - At first glance, this colour didn't really do much for me. It seemed a bit too red/orange for my colouring and I don't like sparkles. But I looked around online and found some swatches and looks and it looked really great in the pictures, so I decided I'd give it a chance. Boy, am I glad I did! The sparkles don't really show up (which, I suppose, may be a disappointment to many, but which made me really happy!) and the brown looks much cooler on the eye than it does in the pot. It's become one of my go-to colours for neutral daytime looks - I even got a backup! Creator Amber Katz can be found at Beauty Blogging Junkie.
  • Jealousy Wakes (VP) - I'm afraid I have to cheat on the description of this shadow too, because it's really hard to describe! It's described as "emerald green with teal and gold pearl." Spot on. I'm not huge on bright colours - particularly greens - but this is definitely one worth adding to the collection because I can guarantee you haven't already got one like it! You can thank Christine Mielke from Temptalia for this one!
 L-R: Parisian Skies; Hocus Pocus; Sparkle Neely, Sparkle!; Jealousy Wakes
    There are still some of these left, so head on over to MAC - quick!

    Ratings:
    Packaging: 4/5 (as always - point off for not being easily de- and re-pottable!)
    Product quality: 5/5
    Worth the price? Definitely!
    Would I purchase again? Oh, if only I could!

    Cruelty-Free? Yes - appears on PETA's Cruelty-Free list.
    Where to find it: MAC in store and online

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...